This is the first demo of the phone more-of-less complete. You can see a video over at my facebook page. Apologies for those who don’t use facebook, but the raw video is too big for wordpress to handle. After the demo, I decided that it was time to tear the phone apart and try interfacing […]
So, after a several month hiatus, I’m back at it. I managed to get all the parts into the phone, though to make room I had to remove the bells from the ringer mechanism, which makes me sad. You’ll notice the USB cord hanging out the back: that’s for charging the on-board 1,100 mAh LiPoly […]
Thanks to an impedance matching transformer from Radio Shack, I can now play audio though the handset. Yay! It still needs to be a little more polished, but the basic concept works. it_speaks.mov
This post is long overdue. The hardware has been complete (enough) for weeks now, and the software has been improving incrementally. It is the impending arrival of the Maker Faire that finally prodded me enough to finish writing this up. I’ll be there showing this off. Here’s what the completed project (mostly) looks like: (more […]
Many of the terminals in the phones I might use have connectors designed to attach to screw terminals. This makes it a little difficult to attach to a standard Arduino. Here is my way to adapt them.
While the original phone I bought for this project is uber-cool, the fact remains that it’s not quite period appropriate to the time when Zork was at its peak (1977-1983). So a little time wandering though the world’s biggest bazaar showed me an alternative. It came labeled as “No Sound from ringer, works okay” […]
When gutting the phone, I went to the trouble to preserve the hook and PTT switch infrastructure. I’m still not sure how I’m going to use them, but I figure that it’d be good to know how they work. With the help of my trusty cat Ezra, I carefully stripped the end of all the […]
So I started with this phone, but it’s full of phone guts that aren’t going to help the project at all.