This is only tangentially about the GruePhone. It appears that NextThing computer company has folded (probably actually ceased operation months ago)… apparently it has closed up shop and left a lot of people with outstanding (paid-for) orders unfulfilled. This is sad on many levels. It certainly sucks for people who are out the cash, but […]
I’ve gotta be better with these updates. It’s been about 10 months since my last post. Work on the new phones is slow to non-existent, but I finally spent some time getting the old phone in better shape, both hardware and software. First, the phone is now back in one piece after sitting disassembled for […]
The Maker Faire was excellent, even if there was a significant hardware failure that took the phone off-line for part of Saturday and all of Sunday. It was too noisy to even attempt to play Zork, so I had prepared the framework so it could run a much simpler game called Moonglow, written by Dave Bernazzani […]
Here is a mostly complete list of offline text-to-speech engines I have at my disposal. I have cleaned up the text somewhat from the last time, so they should be easier to understand. Let me know what your favorite is in the comments. Espeak is a very robotic, but relatively lightweight engine: Festival is a quirky, […]
Wow, it really has been a while, but improvements in technology have given me an idea of how to improve upon the original Dial-a-Grue phone. The idea is to use a small embedded computer, this time a $9 “chip” computer and actually embed it into a gutted phone. From there I can use text-to-speech (tts) and […]
I supposed I should have figured this out earlier, but there just isn’t enough SRAM for the zip interpreter to run the Zork I story file. It is trying to malloc() approximately 30KB of ram for various data structures, and the poor little Arduino Mega only has 8. It might be possible to […]
As I said in a previous post, It looks like a standard Arduino just doesn’t have enough memory, so I found an Arduino Mega, which is based on the ATMega 1280 rather than the 328. However, when I got the Mega from MakerBot Industries, it refused to accept any new program uploads. Every time I […]
So, by commiting acts of unspeakable hackery, I’ve gotten it small enough to load onto the Arduino: Of course it doesn’t run, but that’s a different hurdle.
So after much hacking away, I’ve finally gotten the zip code to compile under the Arduino IDE. But it doesn’t quite fit.
Part converting the code for use being fed to a TDD is to make it a long stream, rather than a pretty curses(3) based interface. This means that all the trouble the developers spent on making lines wrap cleanly, and providing vertical breaks between elements is lost.